The C&TA was established in 1989 and, through our activities, members, work to raise the profile of the Norfolk Museums Service collection. More importantly over £100,000 of C&TA funds has enabled the Museums Service to enrich and expand their collections and further develop visitor facilities.
A programme of events throughout the year brings together like-minded friends. We hold talks and workshops and visit exhibitions locally and nationally. Displays will often be enlivened by costumes and textiles from the C&TA’s resource collection and privately-owned collections. (The picture shows the C&TA exhibition at the City Bookshop in Norwich for Heritage Open Days 2018)
Two newsletters each year offer interesting articles, information about exhibitions and listings of both C&TA and Museum events.
We work collaboratively with many heritage and craft organisations to keep alive the skills and traditions of the textile industry today. We also seek to showcase the work of contemporary crafts people whose inspiration comes from our local heritage.
Find out how to join the Costume and Textile Association for the Norfolk Museums
C&TA Mission Statement
The C&TA is an independent charity seeking to promote the unique costume and textile heritage of Norwich and Norfolk and the collection of the Norfolk Museums Service.
The C&TA aims to:
- raise funds to enrich and expand the Museum collection through a varied programme of events and activities
Find out about the donations we have made so far
- actively engage with both members and the wider community to promote a deeper and wider understanding of the role of textiles in the past, present and future development of Norwich and Norfolk
- publicise the collection currently held at Norfolk Museums Service's Costume and Textile Study Centre at the Shirehall, Market Avenue, Norwich
For a full copy of the 2022 Constitution click here.
Data Protection Policy
The C&TA needs to hold personal information about those who are members of the association for the purposes of;
- collection of membership fees
- notification to members of events being organised
- contacts with volunteers who have offered to help with events and activities
- sending out information about other events and activities the C&TA has been informed of
- contact by committee members related to the general day today activities of the C&TA
- other purposes related to the charitable aims of the organisation
Members will be asked to confirm they are happy for us to hold their details for the above purposes and a full copy of the policy will be available on request.
President: Vanessa Trevelyan
Honorary Life President: Helen Hoyte MBE
Vice Presidents: Jean Smith, Derek James, Jeanne Southgate
Chair: Joy Evitt
Vice Chair: Pippa Lacey
Secretary: Pauline White
Membership: Joy Evitt (interim)
Treasurer: Celia Sutton (interim)
Events: Barbara Coe, Mandy Jackson
Zoom Events: Pippa Lacey, Prue Smith, Caroline Whiting
Website: Caroline Whiting
Volunteer Coordinator: Barbara Coe
Publicity and Archivist: Bernadette Bagg
Data Coordinator: Celia Sutton
NUA Coordinator: Stephen Worth
Bursary Coordinator: Jenny Daniels
Resource Collection: Isobel Auker